轻松学习英语每日坚持阅读《鲁滨逊漂流记》初级版双语
18
During all this time, I never stopped thinking about escape.
在这期间,我从来没有停止设法离开小岛。
When I travelled across to the other side of the island,
当我从纵深探索小岛的另外一侧时,
I could see the other islands, and I said to myself,
我能够看到其他的小岛,我对我自己说,
‘Perhaps I can get there with a boat. Perhaps I can get back to England one day.’
“或许我用一只小船可以到达那儿。也许,有一天,我便可以回到英格兰了。”
So, I decided to make myself a boat.
于是,我决定造自己的小船。
I cut down a big tree, and then began to make a long hole in it.
我砍倒了一棵大树,然后开始掏成一个长条形动。
It was hard work, but about six months later, I had a very fine canoe.
这是很辛苦的工作,但六个月后,我就有了一只很好的独木舟。
Next, I had to get it down to the sea.
接下来,我必须让它下水。
How stupid I was!
我是多么的愚蠢啊!
Why didn’t I think before I began work? Of course, the canoe was too heavy.
为什么开始工作前却没有想到呢?毫无疑问,这只独木舟太重了。
I couldn’t move it!
我挪不动它!
I pulled and pushed and tried everything, but it didn’t move.
我又拉又推用尽一切方法,但是它一动不动。
I was very unhappy for a long time after that.
这个之后很长一段时间我都很不开心。
That happened in my fourth year on the island.
造船的事是发生在我在岛上的第四个年头!
In my sixth year, I did make myself a smaller canoe, but I did not try to escape in it.
在我第六个年头里,我又造了一只更小的船,但我没有用它来试图逃离。
The boat was too small for a long journey, and I did not want to die at sea.
想要长途航线,这船太小了,我可不想死在海上。
The island was my home now, not my prison, and I was just happy to be alive.
现在这岛是我的家了,不是我的监狱,我相当快乐地生活着。
A year or two later, I made myself a second canoe on the other side of the island.
一年或两年之后,我在岛上的另一只独木舟。
I also built myself a second house there, and so I had two homes.
我还在那儿建了第二座房子,所以我有了两个家。
未完待续~